What can easily happen to you
- Business Woman’s Laptop Stolen – Docu-drama, something we might easily imagine happening to us, too.
- Hard Disk Sound – What is causing the sounds you hear with a hard drive is starting up, reading and writing files, and powering down
- The “BEEP BEEP BEEP OF DEATH” – Apparently, each kind of hard drive has its own death wish and song, and when they crash, they crash by the dozens.
- Did you back up your data? “Umm I don’t do that” – Carrie from “Sex and the City” loses her data, including such memorable lines as “Just hang in there, sugar”, and “Are you a PC user? You’re not compatible, ” and, “there was a mean little man who popped up, and he had x’s where his eyes should be.”
And if you don’t believe in drama, listen to the experts
- Hard Drive Recovery – A fine (and humorous) news report about a data recovery problem, explaining how hard drives work, how they die, interviews with people who have lost everything as well as a drive recovery service that, for the price of a few months rent, might be able to save some of it for you some of the time. Includes a tour of “data surgeons” as well as their “Dead Hard Drive Museum”.
- Join World Backup Day, on 31 March
- Learn Windows 7 – System Backup – How Windows does it
- Time Machine – Mac OS X Leopard – How to set up Time Machine on a Mac (Advertisement: Apple Get a Mac: Time Machine)
- The Best Portable Hard Drive, explains why for portable hard drives I use the 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim
Dropbox For and Against
- Dropbox – Simplify your life – the free online service
- Dropbox: Convenient? Absolutely, but is it secure? | TechRepublic.
- 11 Dropbox Alternatives, 8 business-class alternatives to Dropbox
Quality external hard drives include encryption software, but for that memory stick about to fall off of your keychain, you might consider installing TrueCrypt.