Methods for setting up your portfolio to insure consistency of styles (and avoid the difficulties of combining different styles) include the following — choose one:
- Delete all the text from my Outlining Template, save as “My BizApps” homework, and every time you begin a new homework open up this file and name as you save this new file in this required format, “FirstName, 11.4.18”, which is the same format I require for your headers.
- Delete all the text as above, but this time “Save as Template” so that when you start a new file from the Template Directory you can navigate to this one (or another, say for another class that requires different formatting).
- Delete all the text as above, but this time when you “Save as Template”, click on the shades “normal.dot” file so that every single new file you create in your copy of MS Word will begin with this template’s styles and without requiring that you search for it
- Don’t do any of the above, create all sorts of files in all sorts of styles, and later, when you have to clean up the mess, assemble your files and import one style on top of the rest, replacing them, following this advice: How to import styles from one document to another document in Word
Assembling your final portfolio
- Sort your files by date and from last to first, so when you open up them all the first will be on top
- Save that first file with a new name, such as “FirstName LastName, Final Portfolio, date”, scroll up and be sure your cursor is at the very top
- Click the next file top put it in focus, if you sorted them by date, last to first, this should be the second homework of the semester, then pick in the file to focus on the first page, “select all”, copy, and close the file.
- Check to insure that you are back to your final portfolio file, and that your cursor is indeed at the top of that file, and paste.
- Repeat this for each week until you are done.
- If you did not use the same template, then you will need to use method #4 above, importing styles.
Creating a Table of Contents
- For the Table of Contents feature to work, each of your weekly homework assignment due dates needs to be in Heading 1, so check and adjust if necessary
- Then follow the advice you will find by searching “insert a table of contents in MS Word YourVersion,” such as The Wicked Easy Way to Create a Table of Contents in Word
- Pay attention in the very first classes when everyone else is learning this, and if you don’t understand then, ask questions
- Do this with a partner who knows how to do this already
- Ask me for help
Please submit your final portfolio in MS Word (and NOT as a .pdf) on your Dropbox by noontime on the day before our last class. This will give me time to print them out for you and bring to class. I will bring a paper punch as well as small plastic binders for your to assemble your portfolio
You will need to fill out a cover sheet and place it on top of your portfolio, the cover sheets you will find at the Pfortner, we’ll ask one of you to go down and collect a bunch for everyone, and in class I’ll show you how to fill them out